Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to the most commonly asked questions.

I am concerned about my child’s development; who do I speak to about diagnosis?

Family physicians, pediatricians, and psychologists can diagnose autism. You can also discuss your concerns with employees of the TALK WITH ME Program.

Caregivers can prepare for a visit with their healthcare professional by using an online screening tool, such as the M-CHAT.
Screening Tool

Should I wait to see if my child will meet developmental milestones or gain missing skills on their own?

Whenever you have a concern about your child’s learning and development, it is best to investigate. Do not wait. Consult with a healthcare professional. Earlier access to therapeutic services and supports can set your child up for success.

What are the costs associated with this program?

No financial contribution is required by the family. This program is funded by the New Brunswick Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.

How many hours per week are provided?

The service model, including number of hours is highly individualized based on the needs of the child and the family, as well as other factors. A child may spend time with Clinical Supervisors, Behaviour Consultants, Behaviour Interventionists (BI), or receive consultation from our in-house Speech-Language Pathologists according to their personalized learning plan (PLP). Time spent with a BI may be up to 20 hours per week.

Where is the service provided?

Therapy sessions take place in the most natural environment possible. We can work in a child’s home, a childcare facility, or in some limited circumstances, one of our regional centres.

Is my child eligible for this service?

The child must:

  • Be five years or younger as of Dec. 31 of the current application year; not be attending school;
  • Be diagnosed with autism. Diagnosis must be made by one of the following: pediatrician, physician, pediatric neurologist, psychologist or psychiatrist; and
  • Be a full-time resident of New Brunswick.

My child was recently diagnosed with autism. What should I expect?

A confirmation of diagnosis form will be sent to the Department of Education and Early Childhood by your physician or psychologist. An employee from the Department of Education and Early Childhood will contact you to sign documents. Once the documents are signed, your child’s information will be sent to VIVA . Should you need to contact the Department of Education and Early Childhood, please call 1 855 453 2950

My child has a diagnosis of autism, and our family is moving to New Brunswick from another province or county, and we plan to arrive in (month). How do we access your services?

In order to access services your child must be:
• a resident of New Brunswick (including First Nations communities);
• diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder by a pediatrician or psychologist;
• between the ages of 0 and 5 when diagnosed, and not yet entered school.

If your child already has a diagnosis of autism, please contact the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (EECD) at to discuss how to proceed.

My child is school-aged and has a diagnosis of autism, and our family is moving to New Brunswick. What services are available to my child?

If you know where you are moving, please contact the school district or school even before moving to New Brunswick to discuss a plan to access support. The following are links to both the anglophone school districts (Anglophone School District Information ( and francophone school districts (Franchophone School District Information - Education ( For specific questions regarding services offered in the school please email

My child does not have a diagnosis of autism and is in grade (school age) but I suspect that he or she has autism due to (list of symptoms). What services are available to help my child get a diagnosis and intervention?

It is recommended that you reach out to your school for support (teacher, principal, or resource teacher). Your child does not need to have a diagnosis of autism to access support. In terms of receiving a diagnosis, it is recommended that they reach out to their family physician for guidance. They are also many private psychologists provincially who are qualified to complete assessments to confirm the diagnoses of autism. Many insurance plans will cover the cost of these assessments.